Wednesday 23 November 2011

Silly men, treadmills go fast

This would be amazing...
Ugh, post-regular work hour work outs are the dumps.  While the television may be better (as previously mentioned) the company increasingly becomes undesirable. I worked during the day today, so I didn't have a chance to work out until about quarter to six this evening.  When I went down to the work out room there was already an older man (on the bike, obviously... dudes love that thing) watching the Flames hockey game.  Despite the fact that I am not a Flames fan, I do enjoy the hockey and I was down with watching the hockey.  Politely, he did offer me the remote when he was leaving - most likely because he mistakenly thought I would have no interest in watching hockey , much like the other day when I was leaving and I passed the remote because I mistakenly thought that the guy that had just come in would not like to watch Dawson's Creek... nope, he kept watching it...  Here's what I love about men: they can be downright stupid sometimes.  So when I was about ten minutes into my workout, this other guy comes into the gym, probably late thirties and he had an accent I couldn't quite distinguish but he was quite friendly when he came in, despite wearing headphones.  I was rocking it on my best friend the elliptical and this guy came in and went for the treadmill.  I have to say straight up, this was one of the most amazing spectacles of male ridiculousness I have ever seen.  Right away, this guy cranks the treadmill up to about 8mph without any warm up, except the thirty seconds he spent hi-kicking behind me... yup, it was awkward.  Anyway, he cranks the treadmill up while standing with his feet planted on either side and when he finally jumped on, I couldn't help but look - he almost flew right off the back.  You know when you see people do that in movies, and you think "Oh my god, this slapstick humour is so Jim Carey, and thus so over", that's exactly what this looked like, except somehow he managed to recover, at which point he looked over to me and tried to explain that the treadmill is unsafe and that it sporadically pauses...  Awesome, you are so manly you can run super fast without warming up and almost fall off the treadmill but no worries, it's a technical error not the fact that you have no idea how to use a treadmill.  I don't mean to suggest that I am some awesome person that all guys try to hit on (even though I am awesome) but I did get the impression that this was what this guy was up to.  He then decided, despite still wearing his headphones, to chat me up about the game.  It started out with the basic stuff like the score, and who actually scored the points thus far... and then he asked me which team was my favourite.  Given the options of Calgary and Detroit, I said neither.  When he asked me who I did like, I took the opportunity to tell him that I like Vancouver which invariably brings about the question of whether or not I am from there.  "No," I answered "but my husband is".  Sure, I lied and said that Dan was my husband - but I enjoy this lie, I feel that it puts men in their place a lot sooner.  It seems that the title of boyfriend means there is still room to maneuver and the title of fiance means that there is still a last chance.  While this may sound silly, as a long term member of the service industry I can assure you that the ring on my finger does not do much to deter attempts, rather it seems like an invitation to be as ridiculous as possible about it because odds are they're going to get turned down anyway.  I feel like the old husband brush off only pushed this guy to try to impress, or perhaps maintain his manhood.  I could tell he was determined to stay at his workout longer than I had, when I was about a half hour in I kept feeling him looking over me, as if he was looking to see how near I was to finishing... While my goodness did this guy ever suffer, he was huffing and puffing on this treadmill that was going far too fast for this guy.  He stopped twice to catch his breath, and when I finally finished my workout on the elliptical I could see the relief in his stature.  Although, he didn't realise that I was going to do my sit-ups.  Finally, I saw this guy's macho persona collapse and he had to rapidly drop his speed down.  I found the entire incident very amusing, I mean this guy just about killed himself hopping onto a treadmill going far too fast than he was prepared to run just to show his manliness.  This is why I love men, they try so very hard, it can be silly or it can be really amazing, but they're always trying.

Day 23:
40:16
55-65rpm
14km
+
50 sit-ups

No comments:

Post a Comment