Thursday 3 November 2011

Anything you can do, I can do better... or can I?

WHO DID THIS TO MY BARBIE?!
Another day of running down, and an infinite amount more to go!  Trying to work something into your day to day routine can be one of the most challenge things to do because there is no finish line, no goal to achieve.  I have always been an incredibly competitive person, I have always felt a need to out perform others in various aspects of my life - while I am certainly not always successful, I definitely always want to be.  I think that can be both a good attribute and a negative one.  I am constantly comparing myself to others, which can sometimes be depressing - especially when there are teenage millionaires running around singing songs with the worst lyrics of all times while sporting what was formally considered an edgy girls haircut.  And then there's those weird children that start putting others before themselves at an age where my biggest concern was which of my brothers smashed my favourite Barbie's head with a sledge hammer in the garage.  Seriously, kids are starting charities these days, what the hell is that?  The new generation is simultaneously evolving beyond current generations while degenerating by showing their idolization of hookers by dressing like them to go to school - it's a strange world!  On the other hand, being so competitive really helps me to push myself.  I've been trying to look at my running and exercise stats as something to compete against in order to help push myself further.  Essentially, I am motivating myself by competing against Jennifer from yesterday.  I was talking to my mum after my run today, and I guess this is just the way that I have always been.  She said how all four of her children are essentially the same people that they were when they were 3 years old.  For my part, she told me that I have always had the attitude of "anything they can do, I can do better" ('they' being my brothers).  I never really thought about it too much, but I really did aim to do better than my brothers - I wanted to play all the same sports and I wanted to do play them better.  I remember when one of my brother's started playing hockey; I wanted to play so badly.  I was denied based on the expensive cost of the equipment and excuse that I was always held on to.  However, I am sure the truth of the matter was that I was not that strong of a skater and when I played with my brothers on our backyard skating rink I always got trampled; I couldn't skate as well, I couldn't shoot, and I am pretty sure when they put me in the net there was something sadistic behind it... every shot I saved was one that was probably shot hard and directly at me.  I guess that's the benefit to having brothers, I always wanted to be as good as them at everything (if not better) and clearly it played a pretty significant role in making me into the person that I am today; as anyone I have ever played recreational sports with can surely testify to, I still want to be the best and I still want to be better than the boys.  

Running Day 9:
26 minutes and 26 seconds
2.5 miles
5.7 mph
+
50 sit-ups

No comments:

Post a Comment