Friday 11 November 2011

Kryptonite and art...

Do you orgasm when you hold pythons...? haha.
Good evening dedicated blog readers!  I come to you once again with my head hung low in disappointment because I did not workout at all today.  After my very long day yesterday, I slept in today until 12:30.  After I woke up, Dan and I decided to go antiquing.  Basically, I equate antiquing with going to a free museum where you can touch everything and you can also by the things that you are looking at.  I love the idea of buying old things, trust me I didn't always - despite having no sisters, I still managed to receive a wide assortment of hand my downs from my mum's best friend's daughters - back then I definitely did not enjoy old things.  No though, I have gained an appreciation for it; you pick something up, something that seems incredibly insignificant and yet at some point in time any number of very important or unimportant people could have held that thing before you.  There is a history and a mystery behind everything, it's genuinely a very interesting experience.  For myself, books are my kryptonite.  I love the feel and smell of old books, I love the fact that they have passed through so many hands before they have gotten to me, I love that other people have read those exact letters printed on the page and brought them to life in their own minds - perfectly imagining the characters and settings in their own distinct way.  After Dan and I antiquing like we're already a 50 year old couple trying to reclaim their youth through material possessions, we returned home and had dinner before going to the Matt Good concert tonight.  The concert was one of those events that I didn't really forget about but simply chose not to think about as something that would take up actual time - turns out, concerts do take up time.  However, I am very glad that I allowed this concert to take up my time!  After the long3 hour drive to and from Alberta's antiquing capital of Nanton, Dan and I both felt very tuckered out and found ourselves envious of the idea of confining ourselves to the couch.  In the end though, I think we were both very happy about our decision to just man-up (as if it were a difficult task) and go to the show.  For me, I think that there are two different kinds of shows that you can go to... you can go to see an artist or you can go to see a performer.  Britney Spears, Beyonce, and such are performers - it's about the spectacle, the glitter, the showmanship... not to sound like a pompous asshole, but I found that it's less about art.  And then there are artists, Matt Good showed me tonight that he is an artist.  The concert opened in blackness, and then two lamps (yes, lamps picture high-end ornate 1930s lamps) came on, on either side of the stage.  The keyboardist came on to the stage, you could see him, his face... and then Matt Good came on; shrouded in the shadows, he crossed the stage identified by the fans despite the darkness.  He sang, beautifully, wonderfully, identically to the sound that emits from his albums, the song "We Were Hunting Rabbits", one of my personal favourites. I felt the song, as cheesy as the sounds, I could feel the vibrations resonating through the auditorium and no, I was not on any form of drugs - but that's the joy of smaller venues, you get to experience a connection to the music and the artist.  The next song commenced with a blast of light to our faces; so completely overwhelming that you couldn't look directly at the stage, and when you did, you were so blinded that you couldn't see the faces of the people on stage - I realized it was a commentary, normally we're all looking up at them, the artists, judging them, yet they can't even see us - we're hidden in the comfort of darkness and the crowd.  Now we were illuminated, blinded by bright lights, unable to see the people before us who may or may not be judging us.  I really felt like this concert was a piece of performance art, not just a singer performing or a performance, but an artist demonstrating a point to the audience - just because he has a talent that puts him on stage before him, doesn't give us the right to judge him.
I'm sorry that my blog has not run a more consistent course, despite having an initial theme behind it; this blog has clearly become a sounding box for me.  I can now understand why blogs became so popular in the first place - I can say whatever I want to say, you don't have to like it, you don't have to read it, but it's here.  However, I do hope you read it, and I do hope you enjoy it.  I'll work out tomorrow, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment